This building was erected for Jackson dry goods merchant Horace Ismon in 1853. Ismon had begun his mercantile career in Paw Paw during the 1840s. Although established in Jackson, he continued his Paw Paw ventures, engaging in the woolen trade, building a tannery and grist and saw mills, and financing the Paw Paw Railroad. Ismon was a founding director of the Jackson County Bank in 1872. Having no children of their own, Ismon and his wife Clara, mentored youth interested in the mercantile trade.