Holland Post Office
In 1848, in response to pressure from settlers of Holland, the U.S. Congress created the communities first post office, with Henry D. Post as postmaster. Originally named Black River, the Holland post office relocated to rented quarters several times before this building was constructed. The Neoclassical Indiana limestone building, completed in 1915, was notable for its oak paneling, marble trim, fashionable windows and electric lighting. After postal operations were relocated in 1986, the city of Holland acquired the building. The Netherlands Museum collection, begun by founder Willard Wichers in 1937, opened on this site in 1992 as the Holland Museum.