Central High School
The first Central High School opened in a stone building three blocks to the west. The state legislature instituted high school grading in 1859, and the first Central High School graduation was held in 1862. Two successively larger buildings housed the school during the next fifty years. When dedicated in 1911, this Collegiate Gothic building was a model of modern school architecture. The local firm of Robinson and Campau designed the school in consolidation with architects from Detroit and St. Louis. The exterior is red paving brick with gray terra cotta and cut stone trim. Additions were built in 1927, 1930, and 1983. The original multi-paned windows have been replaced.