First Congregational Church
On August 20, 1848, the Reverend James S. Kidder and nine members chartered the First Congregational Church of Wayne. Later that year, a Congregational society was formed. The two organizations worked as one body, but were separate, looking to the spiritual needs of its members and the society taking care of the secular matters associated with the church. The society owned the church property and took responsibility for its legal and financial interests. The church and society memberships were not always the same. In 1849 the society erected a Greek Revival meetinghouse on this site. destroyed by fire in 1970, it was replaced by the present building in 1973.