Lapeer Public Library
Founded in 1859, the Lapeer Ladies Library Association gathered the community's first collection for lending. The popularity of the collection led the Carnegie Foundation to offer $10,000 to build a public library in 1916. In part through the efforts of Congressman Louis Cramton, a larger Carnegie grant was secured in 1921. The citizens of Lapeer provided the remainder of the funds needed to construct this Georgian Revival building. Designed by the prominent Detroit firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls, the library opened in 1923. In 1981 it was renamed to honor Newberry Award winning children's author and illustrator Marguerite de Angeli who was born in Lapeer in 1889.