St.John the Baptist Church
Organized in 1855 to serve Irish Catholic immigrants, the parish of St.John the Baptist worshipped in a simple church on the Cowman farm until 1868. That year, the parish of seventy families built this church, which seated four hundred people. It was the largest church in Ionia County at that time. St. John's grew to include a cemetery (1884), a rectory (1907), a school (1917), aa convent (1927), which was razed in 1987 and a parish hall (1977).