Haymarket Historic District
Development began in the Haymarket district as early as the 1830s and was spurred by the construction of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad Depot in 1870. The district became a hub for retail, wholesaling and light manufacturing. It was the business center for the Geman community. The Desenberg Block at 251 East Michigan Avenue is Michigan's only surviving example of the work of Chicago architects Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan.