Central Park Chapel
Located on rail and interurban lines linking the west Michigan shore with Chicago and Grand Rapids, Holland has long been a tourist destination. Beginning in the late nineteenth century, vacationers erected summer cottages at Central Park on the shores of Black Lake, present-day Lake Macatawa, Many of them, like the permanent residents were of Dutch descent and had strong religious beliefs. John R. Stryker hosted services on his porch until 1903 when the Central Park Chapel was built to serve interdenominational religious needs. Dr. John A. Otte, a medical missionary, led the construction of the chapel on land donated by Gerrit Zaalmink, Early services were held in Dutch as well as English. Because of the number of clergy who vacationed here, Central Park was known as "Saint's Rest."