Old Settlers Park
Residents of the logging community of Burdickville held a picnic on August 3, 1893, to honor two elderly pioneers, Kasson Freeman and John Fisher. High attendance at this first picnic inspired the organizers to hold one annually. In 1905 the formed the Old Settlers Picnic Association and began raising funds to purchase a permanent picnic ground. The present Old Settlers Park reflects two purchases. In 1912 with funds from the association, Leelanau County bought a five acre parcel adjacent to the Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1896. In 1917 the association funded the county's purchase of the church, with the Methodists stipulating that the church "shall not be used for dancing." Each August people came from miles around to attend the Old Settlers Picnic.