This is likely the oldest farm complex on Harsens Island. Harvey Stewart, a brewery and distillery owner from New York State came to Michigan Territory in 1810. He served as a guide and messenger to General William Henry Harrison during the War of 1812. Stewart, a widower, married Mary Graveraet in 1814. She was the grand-daughter of Jacob Harsen, who settled the island around 1778. Graveraet had inherited 640 acres originally owned by Harsen, but abandoned it during the war. After the war she returned with Stewart and his two sons Aura and John, and took up farming. In 1849 Aura Stewart purchase 53 acres of the farm and began building this house soon after. In 1876 he wrote his memoirs - a stirring account of nineteenth century life in Harsens Island.