Cooke Hydroelectric Plant
William Augustine Foote, a Jackson entrepreneur, built a series of hydroelectic plants along the Au Sable River with the help of his brother, electrical engineer James Berry Foote. The Footes enlisted the aid of civil engineer William Fargo and construction supervisor Grant Cochran, and in 1910 began constructing Cooke Hydroelectric Plant. The first of six hydros built on the lower Au Sable River, the plant openedd the following year. Its 140,000-volt transmission line, (the highest voltage in use at that time) extended 125 miles to Flint. The facility was named for Andrew Cooke, a financier who accompanied the Footes on surveys of the Au Sable River and suggested this location for the plant.