Port Huron Public Library
In 1902 the city of Port Huron secured money from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie to erect a municipal library. Two years later this grand, Beaux-Arts-style building was completed at a cost of $45,000. Chicago architects Patton and Miller designed the Indiana limestone-clad building. At its dedication in 1904, Melvil Dewey, creator of the book classification system that bears his name, delivered the opening address. The Port Huron Public Library served in its original capacity for over sixty years. In 1967 a larger public library was constructed. The following year the former library opened as the Port Huron Museum of Arts and History. A rear addition was constructed in 1988.