Presque Isle Front Range Light
In 1869 the U.S. Congress appropriated $7,500 to build two range lights marking the channel into Presque Isle Harbor. Orlando M. Poe submitted plans in May 1870, and by August the range lights were in operation as seafarers aligned the lights to direct them into the harbor. Anna Garraty, one of the few women light keepers, maintained this light from 1903 to 1926. In 1967 a light on a pole replaced the front range light, which was moved near the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse. Presque Isle Township acquired the building in 1995 with state funds and private donations. In 2002 it was moved here near its original site. Much of the lower structure has been rebuilt according to the original plans.