Linden Historic District
Linden's origins can be traced to the 1830s, when settlers began erecting mills along the Shiawassee River. Other industries soon followed, as the city became a regional center for buggy and barrel manufacturing, cement production, and foundry work. In 1850 a post office was established, followed by a railroad stop in 1857 - two events that spurred Linden's growth. The majority of the city's downtown buildings date from between 1850 and 1925 and reflect a variety of architectural styles: Greek Revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, Collegiate Gothic, and Art Moderne. Linden's downtown, known as the Bridge Street - Broad Street Historic District, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.