Leonard Benjamins (1840-1902) emigrated from the Netherlands with his family in 1847, settling in the Grand Rapids area. In 1868 he started a clothing business that operated for thirty years. Around 1886, he constructed this stately Queen Anne house on land that was then locacted outside the city, in Paris Township. Beerton A. Spring (1875-1953) purchased the house in 1924. Spring was among the first licensed morticians in the region and a locally prominent citizen.