David and Laura Lester House

David and Laura Lester House

This house was likely built in stages around 1855 and 1885 and reflects the prominence of David and Laura Rice Lester. David Lester (1823 - 1890), a shipbuilder, a ship owner, and a salt producer, played a key role in Marine City's economic and civic development. As a young man he scouted timberland for shipping magnate Eber Brock Ward. Then in 1855, Lester built the FORREST, the first vessel built in his own Marine City shipyard. Nearly two decades later thousands of people attended the launch of the 233-foot steamer V.H. KETCHUM, the largest ship on the Great Lakes at the time. Lester and his brother Philander built 62 ships and helped make Marine City and important shipbuilding center.
photo of David and Laura Lester House

Registered Site L2197
Erected 2008

Location: 406 S. Main St.,
Marine City, Saint Clair County

Topics:
Historic Homes

Home

Latitude: 42.716073, Longitude: -82.494357

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com