First Presbyterian Church
The Reverend Hiram L. Miller and twelve others founded this church, the first in the Saginaw Valley, on March 1, 1838. They first worshipped at a carpentry shop on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Ames Street. The congregation erected a white clapboard church on this site in 1852, thee first permanent church building in the Valley. On November 10, 1883, the cornerstone for the present sanctuary, designed by local architect Fred W. Hollister, was dedicated November 22, 1885. There have been several additions and restorations since then. A 750 pound bell, a gift to the original church from area citizens, hangs in the present structure.