Trinity Episcopal Church
The Reverend James O'Brien became Monroe's first Episcopal rector in late 1831. Early the next year he and his small congregation began building Trinity Church on what is now Loranger Square. Funds came from Ohio, Pennsylvanian and New York, as well as the congregation. The first service in the wood-frame church was held on February 3, 1833. Before daylight on March 16, 1868, a disastrous fire that engulfed part of Monroe's business district destroyed the church. The congregation turned to Gordon W. Lloyd to design this church, which includes one of the few items saved from the fire, the baptismal font. The cornerstone was laid on June 24m 1868, and services began in the fall of 1869.