Sts. Cornelius and Cyprian Church
In 1845 local Catholics began holding mass in the home of Irish immigrant James Markey in Bunker Hill Township. Father Kelly from Ann Arbor traveled on horseback to provide religious services. After the death of a neighbor's son in 1849, Markey gave the church land for a cemetery. Parishioners built a wood-framed church in the middle of the cemetery in 1864. Bishop Lefevere of Detroit named the church after St Cornelius, a Roman priest who became Pope in A.D. 251, and St Cyprian, the Bishop of Carthage. In 1869 the parish purchased a farm adjoining the property and was assigned its first resident priest. By 1973 the farm was sold and the church was a mission of Pinckney's parish.