In the nineteenth century, this area served as a parade ground for soldiers stationed at Fort Mackinac. Here, soldiers practice marching, the manual of arms, bayonet skills and other military drills. By 1843, the parade ground was formally developed and fenced, In the 1870s, several buildings were erected on the edge of the parade ground, including horse stables and housing for non-commissioned officers The parade ground also served as home field for the Fort Mackinac Base Ball Club. Founded in 1885, the club played against other teams from Northern Michigan. In 1887, the team built a grandstand with seating for 500 spectators. An admission to a baseball game cost twenty-five cents, and grandstand seats cost an extra ten cents.