Hartford Memorial Baptist Church
The Hartford Memorial congregation was the first African American church on Detroit's west side. It began, under Rev. Edgar Edwards (1875-1942), AS the International, Interracial, Interdenominational, Institutional Baptist Church in 1917. Under its second pastor, The Rev Charles A. Hill (1893-1970), it was incorporated in 1921 on Hartford Avenue. In 1924, it built a new church at 6300 Hartford, where it remained until 1972. The church, through its ministries, led civil and equal rights efforts to organize Ford Motor Company United Automobile Works, prevent exclusion of blacks from the World War II era Sojourner Truth Housing Project, and support the 1986 Dearborn economic Boycott.