St. Anne Church
The first building used by Catholics on Grosse Ile was originally the islands first school. It was moved here from Thorofare and Church Road. Named St. Anne Church, it was recognized as a mission in 1863. Among its supporters were Archange Brodhead and Catherine Wendell. The sisters were granddaughters of William Macomb, who with his brother purchased the island from Potawatomi Indians in 1776. Mrs. Brodhead and her children provided a place in their home for priests to stay when they visited the island to celebrate mass. The family also took care of the church.