St John Lutheran Church and Schools
In 1864, local residents asked Pastor Herman Lemke of East Detroit to help them organize a Lutheran church in Fraser. That same year, they built a small wood frame building on land south of 14 Mile Road. Each week after Sunday service, they moved the pews aside to desks and chairs could be set up for the school week. The congregation replaced the small church with a larger wood frame church and school in 1867. A fire destroyed the building on Christmas Eve 1884. In 1884-85, members built a new two-story school and a separate church with a seating capacity of 600. The school had two classrooms, one on each floor. St. John School was the only school in Fraser until the village built a one-room schools at 13 Mile and Utica Roads around 1882.