St Mary's Cemetery
In 1830 Etienne (Stephen) and Mary Rose arrived in Detroit from Montreal. They settled with their children near here. Rose and his sons supported the family by cutting and selling wood at fifty cents a cord. In 1840 the Roses bought about thirty-seven acres of land from the government. On November 30, 1849, they deeded some of the land to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit to build a church and cemetery. Early church histories state that the cemetery's earliest burials were the remains of some of the community's earliest settlers, who had been buried along Anchor Bay but had to be relocated to the cemetery's southeast corner due to rising water levels. The burial ground became the resting place for many of Ira Township's earliest immigrant residents from Switzerland, Canada, France, Germany, Belgium, Ireland, England and the Netherlands.