Friendship Baptist Church
In 1916 the Rev. Samuel S. Cumby founded Friendship Baptist Church, an African-American congregation, on Russell Street. The Rev. John Henry Johnson (1878-1957) began to lead the church the next year. Its membership grew rapidly over the next two decades forcing several moves in search of more space. In 1935 Rev Johnson and the approximately 1,000-member church moved to their first long-term location, at 623 Rowena, later renamed Mack Avenue. By this time, the church had more than twenty-five auxiliaries and clubs engaged in such community outreach efforts as Red Cross projects, food programs, and volunteering. In 1969 Friendship Baptist Church became the second African American Church to join the Detroit Association of American Baptist Churches.