Methodist Protestant Church / Montrose Township Cemetery
Methodist Protestant Church
The Methodist Protestant Church Association laid the cornerstone for this church in 1893 on land later purchased from the John Berry family. The building was finished in 1895. Membership declined over the years, and in 1917 the church trustees sold the deteriorating building to Duncan Berry, who repaired it and deeded it to Montrose Township. Locally known as the "Church on the Hill," it became a venue for Memorial Day ceremonies, funerals, weddings and church services.
Montrose Township Cemetery
In 1859 Montrose Township bought three acres of land from John Berry to create a burying ground, which was later expanded. In August of that year, John Picket Slade, a veteran of the War of 1812, was the first person buried here. Early township settlers are residents are among more than 5,000 people who are interred in the cemetery. Wyman and Edith Jennings donated the small chapel to the township in 1988. Gerald and Helen Flynn gave the township the land on which the chapel was built.