Criffield-Whiteley House

Registered Site L2309

Criffield-Whiteley House

Businessman and farmer Charles M. Criffield (1867-1929) and his wife, Cora, (1865-1945) built this Queen-Anne style house in 1897. Fred Corber managed the construction. In 1920 the Criffields sold the house to Ethel and Harry H. Whiteley. Elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in 1914. Mr , Whiteley moved his family to Dowagiac in 1915 in order to buy into and manage the Dowagiac Daily News. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
photo of Criffield-Whiteley House

Harry and Sara Ethel Whiteley

Harry H. Whiteley (1882-1957) used his successful Dowagiac newspaper and his position as a member of the Michigan Senate (1923-26) and the Michigan Conservation Commission (1927-48) to shape Michigan's public land policy. He advocated for Warren Dunes and many other state parks. Sara Ethel (1882-1975), a founding member of the Samuel Felt Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, led the chapter's effort to honor veteran's of World War II with a memorial highway and park.



Erected 2017

Location: 601 Main Street
Dowagiac, Cass County

Topics:
Historic Homes

Latitude: 41.98477, Longitude: -86.11736

© 2019 - MichMarkers.com