Tau Beta Community House
Tau Beta hired the Detroit architectural firm Smith, Hinchman and Grylls to design this 1928 building. The much larger space allowed for full-time doctors at medical and dental clinics, a gymnasium, an auditorium and a full sized kitchen. By the 1950s, an increase in Hamtramck social service providers had reduced the need for Tau Beta’s services. In 1958, the women focuses their efforts on charity work outside the community house and sol the building to the Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic Church for use as a school. Various businesses occupied the house until 2017, when Hamtramck Public Schools purchased the property. The front entrance and modern exterior are not original to the 1928 structure, but the interior remains largely unchanged.