Sacred Heart Cemetery
Led by Bishop John Samuel Foley, the Diocese of Detroit purchased this land from Ephise Rosset in February 1914. The property became a new burial ground for Immaculate Conception of Blessed Virgin Mary after the church’s first cemetery, St. Mary’s, had nearly reached its capacity. The first burial in Sacred Heart Cemetery was recorded on June 25, 1914. Because many parish members owned family plots in St. Mary’s, the new cemetery had a low number of interments during its first few years.