International Institute of Detroit
International Institute Of Detroit: The International Institute of Detroit was founded by the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) in 1919. It was one of fifty-five institutes across the United States that developed after 1911, when Edith Terry Bremer founded the first international institute in New York. Bremer’s model helped immigrants adjust to their new U.S. homes while maintaining their cultural identities. The Detroit institute’s first official building was located at the corner of East Adams and Witherell Streets. The organization helped new arrivals find jobs and homes, become citizens, learn English and acquire medical care. In 1934 the institute, then located at 2431 East Grand Boulevard, merged with the YWCA Women’s Center and changed its name to the International Center.