Paint Creek Cider Mill
Needham Hemingway built the first mill at this site in 1835, harnessing water power from the Paint Creek millrace. William Goodison purchased the gristmill in 1866. The surrounding community took his name and became a railroad stop in 1872. The mill operated under various owners until 1941. Dale O. Miller purchased the property in 1945, hoping to restore the old gristmill and produce water powered electricity. The building was no longer structurally sound, so he had the mill dismantled in 1853 and salvaged the original hand-hewn timbers to use in constructing a new tourist destination: a cider mill. Miller hired architects Giffels & Vallet Inc., L. Rossetti to design the building. Its style was inspired by both Mid-century Modern and Swiss chalet architecture.