On July 28, 1930, Jacob and Lucinda Kindleberger donated thirty-eight acres of land to create a park for the recently founded village of Parchment. "Uncle" Jake Kindleberger was president of a paper mill, the Kalamazoo Vegetable Parchment Company (KVP). The park was a central part of his effort to form a mill and village that he saw as "models for the world." Parchment's village commission voted to name the park after the Kindlebergers in January 1931. Despite the Great Depression, park construction began in 1932 under the leadership of KVP. Employees dug ditches, planted trees and constructed roads. Volunteers from local Boy Scouts and garden clubs also worked on the park. At the park dedication on June 17, 1933, KVP;s baseball team broke in the new diamond with a home victory. The Parchment News reported nearly six thousand attendees.