The old Grand River Indian Trail, now US-16, became a plank road in 1848. A toll gate and Red Bridge Post Office were located here. Nearby were homes of John Mullett, pioneer surveyor, and John Forester, explorer, north Michigan mine pioneer. Michigan State University
, first U. S. land grant college, and Lansing, the capital of Michigan, lie to the west.