As soon as miners began to enter the Copper Country
, appeals were made to the army for protection from resentful Indians. Thus, in 1844, Fort Wilkins was built. Two companies of infantry stood guard at this early copper mining and shipping center. In 1846, during the Mexican War, the force was withdrawn. It was replaced only from 1867 to 1869.
Registered Site S0033
Fort Wilkins State Park
Copper Harbor, Keweenaw County Topics:FortsMuseums
Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.Home
Latitude: 47.4656859, Longitude: -87.8577518