Fort Du Buade

Fort Du Buade

This fort was built by the French near here within a decade after Marquette had established his mission in 1671. Its name is that of the family of Frontenac, the French Governor of North America. Until Detroit was founded in 1701, this was the most important French post west of Montreal. The fort's commandant had charge of all other French forts in the West. Also known as Fort Michilimackinac, it was the first of three forts which were to bear this name in the Straits area.
photo of Fort Du Buade

Registered Site S0098
Erected 1958

Location: Municipal Building State Street
St. Ignace, Mackinac County

Topics:
Forts
Governors

Home

Latitude: 45.8686913, Longitude: -84.7291374

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com