Kalamazoo College

Kalamazoo College

The first classroom for the Michigan and Huron Institute, now Kalamazoo College, was erected on this site between June and September 1836. The charter bill for the school had been introduced into the Michigan Territorial Legislative Council on January 18, 1833 and signed into law by Governor George B. Porter on April 22, 1833. Village pledges supplied funds for the two-story frame classroom structure, which was the start of Michigan's first church-related college.
photo of Kalamazoo College

Registered Site S0101a
Erected 1983

Location: Westnedge and Walnut
Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County

Topics:
Colleges and Universities
Governors

Home

Latitude: 42.2861037, Longitude: -85.5896973

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com