Northern Michigan University
Established by the Legislature in 1899 as a normal school to provide teachers for the Upper Peninsula, Northern opened with thirty-two students, and six faculty members, and Dwight B. Waldo as principal. A four-year collegiate program was introduced in 1918 and the first bachelor of arts degree was conferred two years later. In the 1950's Northern became a multipurpose institution placing emphasis on instruction, service, and research. In 1960 it established its own graduate program leading to the master of arts degree. Serving an ever increasing student body, Northern in 1963 achieved university status through an act of the Legislature.