Wayne State University
Here in the Central High building completed in 1896 was founded in 1917 Detroit Junior College, from which grew a college of liberal arts. It united with other colleges, some begun here and some bearing notable histories in other parts of the city to form a municipal institution, which in 1934 was named Wayne University. The oldest college, that of Medicine, began in 1868. Wayne, with its ten colleges and schools was sustained by the people of Detroit through their Board of Education until 1956 when it became a State University.