Named for the Erie Indians, this was the last of the Great Lakes discovered by white men. The French were exploring the upper lakes as early as 1615, but they avoided the region to the south, which was the realm of hostile Iroquois Indians. Then in 1669, Adrien Jolliet entered Lake Erie from the Detroit River and followed the north shore eastward. The final link was added to the mighty inland waterway so vital to Michigan's history.
Marker photographed at State History Museum, Lansing.
Registered Site S0118
Sterling State Park
Monroe, Monroe County Topics:Missing MarkersNatural Features
Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.Home
Latitude: 41.9199061, Longitude: -83.3426284