This lake, the sixth largest in the world, was discovered in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, who explored this north shore to Green Bay but found no Orientals as the French in Quebec had hoped he would. The general shape of the lake was established in 1670's by Marquette and Jolliet. They named it Lake Michigan. Its elongated shape was an obstacle to transcontinental expansion, but its water soon proved a real boon to commerce.
Registered Site S0120
Park on US-2 6 miles west of St Ignace.
Moran Township, Mackinac County Topics:Natural FeaturesHome
Latitude: 45.8705290, Longitude: -84.8054838