First Mile of Concrete Highway
In 1909 Wayne County built the first mile of concrete highway in the world here on Woodward between Six and Seven Mile Roads. From far and near road builders came to see how concrete stood up under the heavy traffic of that period. The success of this experiment speeded the development of modern automobile highways. It cost $13,537, including $1,000 in state aid. The road was replaced in 1922 by a broad thoroughfare.