Lawrence Institute of Technology
Lawrence Tech was chartered in 1932 by the Lawrence brothers, Russell E. and E. George. The college was located in Highland Park on Woodward Avenue until 1955, when the first building opened on this campus. Lawrence Tech, founded as an undergraduate college of engineering, later added programs in architecture, management, arts and science and various technical fields. The college pioneered in scheduling evening programs for working students and in 1935 developed the four-quarter academic calendar, "Theory and Practice" has been the motto of the college since its founding. Application of classroom theories to real situations involving the community of Michigan industries has been its goal. Lawrence Institute of Technology is a nonprofit independent college.