In 1832 the Federal Government appropriated funds for survey and construction of a road which was to begin at La Plaisance Bay, near Monroe. The road was to pass through Tecumseh, and join with the Chicago Road
at Cambridge Junction. The road was completed in 1835. A few years later several boggy sections of the road were covered by oak planks. During early statehood years, thousands of settlers bound for western Michigan used this route.