This church was organized in 1829, one of the oldest Presbyterian groups in the state. The sanctuary, completed in 1849, is largely the work of the Rev. John Monteith, who preached here 1845-1855. A graduate of Princeton Seminary, he came to Michigan in 1816. In that year he founded the first Protestant society in Detroit. In 1817 he became the first president of the University of Michigan
. After his service in Blissfield, he retired from active ministry.