This concert hall was built in 1919 as the home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. It was constructed to satisfy the demand of its music director, the internationally esteemed Ossip Gabrilowitsch, that a suitable hall be built. Architect Charles Howard Crane designed this brick and limestone structure which was completed in five months. The symphony moved to a larger facility in 1939. Two years later this hall became the Paradise Theatre featuring jazz and vaudeville until 1951. Scheduled for demolition in 1970 the building was acquired by Save Orchestra Hall, Incorporated. These concerned citizens restored the badly deteriorated Orchestra Hall, which now continues its tradition of acoustical excellence and quality music in Detroit.