Bay Port Fishing District

Bay Port Fishing District

The Gillingham Fish Company was established in 1886; the Bay Port Fish Company, in 1895. At their peak in the 1920s and 1930s, they shipped tons of perch, walleye, herring, whitefish and carp to New York and Chicago in refrigerated railroad cars. Once known as one of the largest fresh water commercial fishing ports in the world, Bay Port retains a commercial fishery that operates much as it did in the past. Bay Port also offers sport fishing, water skiing, ice fishing and hunting.
photo of Bay Port Fishing District

Registered Site S0458
Erected 1986

Location: End of Promenade Street
Bay Port, Huron County

Topics:
Business & Industry

Home

Latitude: 43.8513029, Longitude: -83.3745574

© 2018 - MichMarkers.com