Baseball has been played on this site since before 1900 and it has been the home of the Detroit Tigers from their start as a charter member of the American League in 1901. Standing at the site of an early haymarket, the stadium has been enlarged and renamed several times. Once called Bennett Park with wooden stands for 10,000, it became Navin Field in 1912 when seating was increased to 23,000 and home plate was moved from what is now right field to its present location. Major alterations later expanded its capacity to more than 54,000 and in 1938 the structure became Briggs Stadium. Lights were installed in 1948 and in 1961 the name was changed to Tiger Stadium. The site of many championship sporting events, the evolution of this stadium is a tribute to Detroit's support of professional athletics.
The final game was played at Tiger Stadium on September 27, 1999. The stadium was partially demolished in 2008 and completely razed in 2009. The above scene is from the 2007 St. Patrick's Day Parade.
Registered Site S0470
The corner of Michigan and Trumbull
Detroit, Wayne County Topics:Missing MarkersTheaters, Halls, and Arenas
Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.Home
Latitude: 42.3320, Longitude: -83.06755