Leaving the chaos of the 1848 German Revolution, Bernhard Stroh emigrated from Kirn, Germany, to South America. He soon decided to try his fortune in another German settlement, and in 1850 he arrived in Detroit. Trained as a brewer, Stroh opened a brewery on Catherine Street that same year. He developed a market for a new light lager beer among the larger German immigrant population. Pushing a cart through the city, he sold his beer from door to door. At his death in 1882 the Lion Brewery had become a thriving business to pass on to his sons, Julius and Bernhard Jr. They expanded the company and in 1902 changed the name to the Stroh Brewery Company. Today members of the Stroh family still manage what is one of Michigan's major family businesses.
Detroit Brewery closed and redeveloped as Brewery Park circa 1987. Company liquidated in 1999.
The Stroh marker was offered for sale on eBay in 2000. After intervention by the Attorney General, the marker was returned to Michigan from Florida and is now in Lansing.
Public domain photo of marker.
Registered Site S0475
Detroit, Wayne County Topics:Business & IndustryMissing Markers
Evidence indicates that this Marker is no longer in place.Home
Latitude: 42.3417263, Longitude: -83.0403435