Harold C. Brooks / Fitch Gorham Brooks House
Harold C. Brooks
Harold C. Brooks (1885-1978) was Marshall's mayor from 1925 to 1931, patron, and philanthropist. His interest in city beautification set a standard for preservation and adaptive use as early as 1921. He owned and protected more than a dozen Marshall buildings. Brooks is responsible for the design of the Marshall Post Office, the conversion of the Old Stone Barn
into Town Hall, and presentation of the Brooks Memorial Fountain to the city. He donated land for veterans, the airport, recreational uses and funds for education and hospital facilities.
Built by Jabez S. Fitch in 1849, this handsome residence became the home of Charles T. Gorham, prominent Marshall citizen in 1848. Harold C. Brooks purchased the house in 1921 and contracted with landscape architect Jens Jensen to design the grounds. The Reverend John D. Pierce and Isaac E. Crary
planned the Michigan public school system in 1834 under the oak now by the west entrance. This Greek Revival structure with five-column arrangement and side entrances reflects the New York heritage of this city's early settlers.