Russell A. Alger, Jr., (1773-1930) son of Michigan's Governor Russell Alger, built this Italian Renaissance style mansion in 1910. Alger was one of the founders of the Packard Motor Car Company
. Charles A. Platt of New York designed this elaborate structure, and Ellen Shipman of New York landscaped the grounds. The home, situated on Lake St. Clair, was referred to as "The Moorings." Alger lived here until his death in 1930. From 1936 to 1948, the house was used by the Detroit Institute of Arts as a branch museum. In 1949 it was deeded to the Grosse Pointe War Memorial
Association in memory of those who served and died in our nation's war and for facilitating the educational, cultural, and civic needs of the community.